The Moonball Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mea Culpa and awards

Not that they've been waiting for it, but I feel like I owe an apology first to the Suns and Shaq and second to the Mavs. Shaq hasn't been great for the Suns but he's been a lot better than I thought he would be and they did turn it around after that early swoon. Proof will be in the playoff pudding--can the Suns knock off the Spurs?

When Dirk went down I was certain that the Mavs would go with him. I now see I underestimated the Diggler's toughness and the Mavs resolve, blinded as I was with desire to see the Warriors return to the post-season. The Mavs finished strong, I think they'll pull it out in their first round tussle with the Hornets.

I think we should all put in our year end award selections. Here are mine:

Sixth man--Manu. So easy, billy boy.

Most Improved--Gotta go with some Turkish delight--Hedo was the real deal all year.

Coach--wow, this is very hard. Mo Cheeks? Byron Scott? Rick Adelman? Phil? Eddie Jordan? I'm tempted to go with the Zen master, just because I think he did do a great job this year, but I think Mr. National Anthem was one step better. Mo's work with the Sixers, who seemed like they were going to be one of the very worst teams in the league, was tremendous. He's the pick.

Rookie--Gotta be Durant, right? The big finish clinches it. Let's hope he stays in Seattle, where the good people of the Northwest can enjoy his emergence.

Defense--Easy. KG all the way. The Beantown D was superlative all year and its energy and plays all came by the one who made Sneeper a Celtics fan.

MVP--I feel like Kobe will win with sentiment from the lifetime achievement award crowd. But I'm still a card-carrying Kobe hater. KG had great impact, LeBron might be the best player. What a year. Still, I think the point man from NO distinguished himself, bringing the heretofore woeful NO franchise into serious contention in the toughest west ever. CP3 for MVP.

Enjoy the playoffs friends.

2 Comments:

  • Most of those picks seem pretty rock-solid.

    I love Mo, of course, but have a hard time giving it for a team that finished under .500. My vote goes to Byron Scott. Adelman's #2. (And Doc Rivers doesn't even get a mention, huh?)

    Camby was #1 in blocks and #2 in rebounds. I know Denver gave up like 200 points per game, but shouldn't credit for Boston's tough D really go to Ray? I don't know, I can't say I saw either play enough this year, so I'm just going with the stats, and Defensive Player is an individual award. Camby.

    MoonBall Surprise Player of the Year: Jose Calderon, drafted #133, finished #32 in total MB points.

    Biggest MoonBall Bust: Gilbert Arenas, drafted #10, finished #311 in total MB points; Jamaal Magloire, drafted #103, finished #388 MB per game.

    By Blogger jLev, at 11:24 PM  

  • I'd go Byron Scott for coach as well. If anyone had NO making the playoffs at the start of the year, I'd bet they were in a 7 or 8 slot and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of folks left them out altogether. To put them with a shot at winning the west in the last week of the season puts Byron over the top despite 66 wins for the Celts. Doc is #2 for me.

    I know he won't win most improved, but I actually think it's Monta Ellis. I had a lot of late nights watching them (thanks, Baron!!!) and that guy just made huge leaps this year. If he hadn't won last year then it would be his trophy (and Kevin Martin should have won last year anyway). If Kaman and Bynum had been healthier they would have to be in the mix. Danny Granger should get consideration as well, but Hedo will take the votes hands down.

    And for an award they don't give anymore Comeback Player give it to Brad Miller.

    By Blogger Knick33, at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home