The Moonball Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2008

An historic night

Watchin the Celtics beat the Cavs tonight was historic for reasons big and small.

LeBron scored his 10,000 point. Youngest player in NBA history to reach that mark. His milestone basket was a gem: Beat two Celts in a race to the rim in an open court scramble for a I-thought-he-was-gonna-lay-that-in Sneak Attack Thunder Throwdown. Thing of beauty.

KG grabbed his 11,000 rebound. Only 27 other players in League history have yanked that many down. The board was his 11th, cleaning the defensive glass after a great 4th quarter defensive stand. I have been worried about KG's strained abdomen. But he looked like his old self, spidering all over the Cav's offensive attack.

I watched my sixth straight Celtics game. Don't know when the last time was that happened. 1988 or 89. I saw all three loses to start the Western road trip. I was at the Rose Garden for the tilt versus the Blazers courtesy of gift tickets from Lynne-bob. Big fun there. I then enjoyed a waxing of the Clippers and an important clobber job on the new look Cavs.

Despite (or maybe especially because) the consecutive losses to Denver, G-State and Phoenix, watching this team over this stretch convinces me more than ever that Championship 17 is a true possibility. They are coming together as a team in ideal fashion. The team defense is outstanding. They can score with anyone. They believe in one another.


My favorite player during this stretch has been Rondo. He is not only an adequate point guard, he is emerging as force for Boston. A natural ball hawk, he is giving guys fits. His offense looks better and tighter each game. Watching Rondo and Ray match up with Delonte and Wally World could not have made me happier. All due respect to Al Jefferson, C's might have held on to their best young player in their roster make-over.

I love the C's bench too. Posey has been outstanding. I did not realize what a great shooter he is. Eddie House is a perfect cog in the up-tempo attack. Tony Allen is growing as a defensive stopper. And the young big fellas Leon Powe and Glen Davis have become increasingly effective as the season has progressed.

Especially after the rough three game losing streak, these guys look confident, focused, and totally bought in to Doc's concept. My hope is when the history is written about this season, the Championship Celts will talk about those three loses helped the team turn the corner to greatness.

p.s. Best single play of last 6 games? No question: BDiddy's game winner in Oaktown.

6 Comments:

  • Interesting take...I was thinking that the C's were showing some vulnerability now that they're out West and the competition notched up...a few losses in a row makes me wonder if they're championship bound. But they have had a lot of adversity in the last month, and you're probably right -- it will serve them better in the long run than Harry Potter's magic cloak of invincibility.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 1:30 PM  

  • Baron Davis's fadeaway jumper at the buzzer was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. A week later, I still have not recovered my voice from all the yelling and cheering that went on in Oaktown. For the rest of my life I might sound like a pack-a-day nightclub singer, but it was worth it.

    By Blogger lyndaellen, at 5:42 PM  

  • Lynne, are you a Warriors fan? Exciting! I don't know any Warrior fans, and it's more fun to cheer for a team upsetting Dallas in the playoffs when you know someone. I've been asking Marc for years, but he wouldn't ever acknowledge anything. Cool!

    By Blogger TVDave, at 12:58 PM  

  • Dave, I've been a Warriors fan ever since Mike spotted Baron Davis at the Farmers Market last year when he was visiting. Basketball + fresh, local, organic + exciting upsets = warriors fan. I'm going to the Warriors-Blazers game on Sunday.

    By Blogger lyndaellen, at 1:19 PM  

  • you might enjoy doug's analysis of the warriors:
    http://www.douglemoine.com/2008/02/basketball-tale-of-two-teams/

    By Blogger lyndaellen, at 1:34 PM  

  • Hey--great to have a Lynne-Bob sighting! I'll second her referral to Doug's blog--definitely worth adding to your feeder.

    By Blogger Ironwood Flash, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home