The Moonball Blog

Friday, June 08, 2007

Marv


If there is one seriously underrated aspect of being an NBA fan, it's that you get to listen to Marv Albert call games. I realize a lot of people like Mike Breen (I'm not a huge fan, but he's light year's better than the travesty that was the Al Michaels Era), but to me the drop-off between Marv and everyone else is Himalayan. Which brings me to this - you should all go out and download the Sports Misogynist's June 5 podcast, which is basically an hour of Simmons talking hoops with Marv. I listened to the first half on the way to work today and figured I had to share the love.

Anyway, the finals look like they're going to be pretty short and sweet. Cleveland acted like they won a ring on Saturday night, which in a way they did - they really don't have much chance against the Spurs. Which is too bad, because I have developed a very solid hate for San Antonio at this point. Even two-time Me Wolf Gino-belly (let alone dirty mother fucker Bowen).

1 Comments:

  • This is really good, I would encourage others to listen to it as well. As we've noted many times, Simmons can be a clown, but he's very talented and brings a really deep knowledge of the NBA to his work. There are lots of great anecdotes in this podcast from Marv's career.

    As for announcers, S&M Marv is clearly the greatest and I agree with Jason that Breen is fine, not great. I really love JVG, though, and was almost giddy the Rockets canned him so he could be back in the booth. ABC was very wise to screw protocol and slide him in for the Finals.

    By Blogger Ironwood Flash, at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home