The Moonball Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Z-Bo


I will confess, I was never really a Zach fan. I hate to admit this, but I think I bought into the hate - he seemed like a numbers guy and kind of an idiot - the strip club stuff, the guns, whatever. When he was on the Knicks and the Clippers he just looked horrible defensively and not a particularly good teammate offensively. When Chris Wallace traded for him I just thought it was another idiot Chris Wallace move.


Flash-forward to now. For a bunch of reasons (no league pass, the fairly weird realization that English soccer is my favorite sport at the moment, the Wolves marching steadily backwards, the regular season not mattering to the C's) I barely watched any games this year (and finished in the top half in moonball for the first time since season 2, I think...) Absence makes the heart fonder, I guess, and I've been eating these playoffs up. For me the absolute revelation is how freaking awesome Z-bo is. Watching Timmy and the Spurs get beat is always enjoyable (unless it's the Lakers doing the beating) but watching the Griz do it has been awesome. There are all kinds of goodness on this Griz team - big Marc with the jump hooks, Cincinnati kid OJ Mayo with the threes and the throw downs, Darryl "Chester A" Arthur giving big minutes, Tony Allen with the D and the crazy - but Zach is clearly what makes them work. He's boarding, he's guarding and his passing has been a delight.

The Spurs aren't going to go down easy, but I just hope I get to keep watching the Griz for a few more weeks at least.

Sorry for my previous hate, Zach, but keep it going.


2 Comments:

  • I loved this post and this picture and this series. Was bummed that the Blazers weren't on TNT for game 5, but I got to watch the Griz cream the Spurs instead. So awesome.

    Sorry you haven't watched much NBA (or Wolves) but if you had watched any Griz/Wolves this year you would have seen TOTAL domination, vs. all close games between Spurs and Wolves. So I had a feeling this would happen, Griz are giving Spurs a run for their money - but it's not over yet.

    Listened to the 2nd half radio broadcast last night, I was excited to hear the Griz come back. At the end of regulation, the announcer (sadly) was gushing and starting to thank people and talk about this historic run 10-years-in-the-making when suddenly Gary Neal hit that unlikely three and send it to OT. And that's all the local Spurs needed.

    Back to Memphis...see how they do!

    By Blogger TVDave, at 11:00 AM  

  • Zach Attack keeps pouring it on!

    What is crazy to me is that this season, LaMarcus Aldridge played the best single season at power forward that I have seen in my 17 years of following the Blazers, RIGHT NOW Zebo is better.

    Plus I love me some Tony Allen.

    By Blogger The Green, at 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home