The Moonball Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Celtic Support Group - First Impressions

After watching the new look Wolves for a few games, I figured I was finally ready to watch some of the newest next-big-thing they call the Boston Celtics. So I invited Shithouse and JLX over for Friday's game v. Wade and the Heat, thinking we could have kind of a support group for the event. But that sounded like a big downer, so last night I found the Celtics v. Cavs game on TV, and decided to just have my support group right here.

As soon as the game started I was surprised to find myself rooting for the Cavs. I am a KG fan for life, but I realized that I didn't want to see Danny Ainge or the people of Boston just get a free pass through the regular season because they made a few trades, and capitalized on the mistakes of the Timberwolves front office. I wanted to see the Cavs give Boston a run for their money. Even thought Cleveland started the season cold, LeBron and Co., didn't disappoint last night, jumping to an early lead before letting the C's creep back for a competitive 2nd half.

It was exciting to watch the big 3 putting it together with the role players, especially Perkins as he keeps growing into himself. I finally went green towards the end, and couldn't believe Ray Ray missed those free throws in the final seconds of regulation.

But an overtime matchup and subsequent Celtics loss was a palatable result for someone who has to watch last year's Boston Celtics lose on a regular basis. Now I realize that KG and Co. will have to battle for everything they get this year. Other teams will be trying hard to knock them off. I think having a team with its share of proven stars is good for the East. I think it will elevate everyone's play (like I felt the Cavs did tonight), which will make the whole league more interesting. Can't wait to see what happens when Boston has a rematch with the Cavs this weekend, and eventually takes the show on the road out West later this season.

And I have to admit, it was also refreshing to watch basketball that felt like it meant something again. I can even dig seeing KG with a clover on his back. I hope that it is a lucky one, and that this is his time.


One other thing I appreciate is that Scot Pollard toned down the hair, and is sporting the retro Bill Waltony leprechaun look that is part of the Celtic tradition. (And he gets bonus points for looking like Tommy A too! As good as the youngest Newton boy's game was this summer on Mt. Tabor, even he and the C's had trouble containing Dwight Howard. Who wouldn't?)

Anyway, I'm on the road to going Green.




2 Comments:

  • You are in second to last place in Moonball because Ray Ray missed those free throws.

    Be thankful for what you have got!

    By Blogger Peter Cassel, at 4:16 PM  

  • I like the Pollard-Tommy A comparison. . .

    By Blogger The Green, at 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home