The Moonball Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Worst team to see?

So I went to see the Knicks/Raptors game at MSG and a Renaldo Balkman fiesta broke out--the Knicks looked great for an afternoon. I had the thought that in years past, the Raptors would be at the very bottom of a list of teams I would most like to see, but that's not true anymore. Even though they must've been checking out the NYC club scene on Saturday night before laying an early Sunday egg, they are a fun group to watch. Chris Bosh, man, there were moments when I considered coming back from the game and putting him #1 on the young center list, ahead of Howard, Oden, and Amare. And TJ is very nice to watch as long as he doesn't shoot it. And the young Italian moves very well. He's not there yet, but he will be. So anyway, the Raptors are now somewhere in the middle of the pack of the teams I'd most like to shell out $60 for the privelege of seeing live.

The question is, who are the teams people would least like to see? This isn't necessarily the worst teams, although there would probably be some correlation. But, for instance, I'd kind of like to see the Bobcats live, just to take in all of their young guys, to see if there's anything good that's going to happen there over time. The greater correlation might be with Mike's list of Clown Car teams. My list includes these teams:

  • Sactown: Other than the potential for an Artest meltdown, this team has sunk from the most watchable to one of the least watchable in just a few short years.
  • Memphis: Yeah, it might be interesting to check in on Rudy Gay and Pau is a pleasure but there's nothing much going on there that you would want to throw good money at.
  • Indiana: Maybe I've seen too much of this gang over the years and suffered through the ugly-winning style of Rick Carlisle when he was in Motown, but there's no draw here outside of JO.
  • Seattle: Again, a real star in Ray Allen and a very nice player in Rashard Lewis, but come on.
  • Chicago: All right, if I were in Detroit and could see the Bulls come to town so I could cheer when Big Ben clanked a free throw, that would be pretty fun, but other than that and Luol Deng, their team is pretty damned boring.
  • The Fakers: Fuck Kobe and his rehabiliated image. But if I got to see Kwamboni throw a cake at Jack Nicholson, now we're talking.
Beantown boys take notice--I left you off this ignominious list. While I still wonder about the reasons that Danny Ainge doesn't get raked over the coals for being a largely unsuccessful front office guy to this point, he has assembled some young talent that would be fun to behold.

Finally, teams I would most like to see live:
  • Pistons--for obvious reasons. Perhaps less obvious so that I could hear what Rasheed is talking about all the time. You get the gist, but I bet the actual words are pretty funny.
  • Houston: Yao remains intriguing and T-Mac somehow underrated (I hope he manages to win a first round series this year, just so people stop dogging him). Plus I like how they have coalesced under JVG. A Deke finger-wave is a plus.
  • Phoenix: For obvious reasons, no one plays a more pleasing style these days.
  • Miami: I can't believe I am writing this, but I guess I would like to see the Diesel play in person before it's too late and to see DWade as well. And if a Rockets/Heat game could be arranged, maybe JVG could swing on Zo's leg for old time's sake.
  • and maybe the Wiz, just because I've had so much fun with Gil on the Flash this year, I'd like to see him live.
Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

  • I was blown away when David and I sat in the second balcony to see Labron play last year. Later in the season I sat in the tenth row in Cleveland with a customer. WOW. King James is so big, so fast, so good.

    As for the boring Bulls, we are all looking forward to the return of Nocioni.

    By Blogger HP All-stars, at 11:25 PM  

  • My least favorite teams to see would be Sactown, followed by the Hawks, Griz, Pacers, G-State, and the Clips. Sad to include those last three squads. Erratic point guard play equals sometime inexcusably ugly basketball. The Nugs and Cavs play fuggly ball, but have star alure.

    I like watching the Bulls. Great guard play, awesome team defense, and the Deng-Nocioni duo.
    I saw Kobe hit Portland for 65 on TV (which sucked so much) and he was freakin amazing. Like Bron's Cavs and the Star-Studded Nugs, the Kob'ster makes the Lakers worth watching. No doubt.
    Seattle has Ray Allen, and that is no joke.

    My best to see live would be the Suns, Dallas, San Antonio, the 'Tah, Detroit and Miami. The best is the best.

    By Blogger The Green, at 2:55 AM  

  • I'd pay to see Seattle if a Jack Sikma-head were around.

    Seeing Lebron live last season was awesome. I still remember how the Bulls were up 2 with the clock running down. Lebron drove. The defense collapsed. He passed the ball out to Flip Murray who nailed a 3 at the buzzer to end the game. Amazing. And, a great way for a Bulls game to end for one who has been transplanted to Chicago.

    By Blogger Knick33, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home