The Moonball Blog

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Draft Day!

So, this is awesome - to quote H. Simpson, I feel like a kid in some kind of store. I can't ever remember a more exciting draft day - no one knows what's going to happen. Well, except for us Wolves fans - we know McHale is going to fuck up. Still, we don't know how - what is the 2006 equivalent of picking Rashad "micro-fracture" McCants instead of Danny Granger or Doodie "Doodie" Ebi over Josh Howard? (early Me-Wolves prediction - passing on Brandon Roy to pick Randy Foye, who is also known as Marcus Banks Jr.)

Also on the table - can the Hawks really be dumb enough to have made a promise to Shelden Williams at 5? Will Brandon Roy (best player in this draft) really drop to the C's at 7? Will Colangelo find someone to trade with? Do the Blazers draft the 'stache? Will someone offer J.J. Redick a beer and an advil when his back siezes up while he's sitting in the green room until the mid-20's?

In case you've actually been spending the day working, here's some draft day reading to catch you up:

TrueHoop is going draft crazy (including a link to a previous true hoop post describing how Phil Jackson totally fucked Johnny Bach by lying about Bach being Sam "dickhead" Smith's source for the Jordan Rules (the source was actually Big Chief T himself)). If you're not reading TrueHoop you're denying yourself one of the Internets' great pleasures - that guy Henry just does a great job.

The Sports Misogynist has a top-10 mock, which I actually mostly agree with since he's w/me on Rudy Gay being the biggest fraud in this draft. I saw that guy play quite a bit, and not once did I think anything other than someone is going to waste a bunch of time and money on that guy.

DraftExpress & NBADraft.net are trying to destroy the web by updating their mock drafts every five minutes.

I won't link to Chad Ford since he's in pay-sider, but I'm sure his toothy head is about to explode with all of the stuff going on.

The only thing that would make this better is if somehow Zeke would make an appearance at the Garden. The thing is, drafting is the only thing he's ever done well, so we can't hope for a Jets-fan-like meltdown when the Knicks pick.

Here's how I think it's going to go down (lottery only):

Tor - Bargnani. I'm sure they want to trade down, but my guess is that no one is really willing to give up much.
Chi - Aldridge. At the end of the day, I just don't think you can pass up an athletic 7 footer, even if he is a little soft.
Charlotte - Gay. At least I hope so...
Portland - Ty Thomas. No one has had them picking him - this is just a me-wolves hunch.
Atlanta - Shelden Williams (though part of me wanted to go with someone like Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer so Atlanta could continue their tradition of picking the best small forward availabl, regardless of need).
T-Wolves - If the draft really goes down like this, the Wolves would have their choice of Morrison, Roy and Foye. Logic would tell you they would either pick Morrison for themselves and trade him to someone that needs him, or that they would take Roy and head for the hills. Because it's McHale, I'm going with Foye. No, I can't do it - Brandon Roy.
Celtics - Morrison
Rockets - Foye. Which they are pissed about.
GSW - Cedric Simmons.
Orlando - Ronnie Brewer
NOOCH - O'Bryant.
Philly - Hilton Armstrong
Utah - Carney.

Also, just so you know, my favorite second round sleeper is Mike Gansey. I think that dude can play.

6 Comments:

  • I am so excited for tonight and J, you are right on about True Hoop. I love that site. Henry is going so crazy today that I can't keep up. I might as well put in for vacation time today. Here's my mock lottery and I have no idea why I'm starting it off this way, but perhaps just because it seems to me almost like Bargnani to Toronto is too obvious:

    Tor -- Colangelo shocks the world and goes for Shawn Marion lite: Tyrus Thomas.
    Bulls -- pissed off, but perhaps saved from themselves and lucky take Aldridge
    Charlotte -- Morrison
    Portland -- Bargnani
    Hawks -- Sheldon Williams... tempted to take Roy for Houston, but with the other bigs off board don't want to risk Wolves or Celts grabbing him before #8 comes up.
    Wolves -- Brandon Roy (just to restore J's faith in humanity)
    Celts -- Rudy Gay
    Rockets -- Ronnie Brewer
    GS -- Patrick O'Bryant
    Sea -- Cedric Simmons
    Magic -- JJ Redick
    Hornets -- Randy Foye
    76ers -- Shawne Williams
    Utah -- Rodney Carney

    Come to think of it, that is all screwed up... now I've just to figure out how to the make watching the draft entertaining enough for Sam...

    By Blogger Knick33, at 4:04 PM  

  • By the way, True Hoop will be live blogging the draft tonight. Should be well worth checking in for that.

    By Blogger Knick33, at 4:06 PM  

  • I am a big Jordan fan and it is exciting to me to see him stepping back into basketball with this draft.

    Unlike so many stars who go on to work around the sport in broadcasting or coaching to keep up with cash-flow and lifestyle, MJ is a superstar with so much money, he has no need to work.

    Everything I have heard about the fiasco in Washington is that Jordan was not present or focused when he was running the show. It is hard to get motivated when the guy telling you to work harder is talking on his cell phone from Aspen with skiis on his feet.

    I am super curious to see if Mike is hungry enough to do the hard work of running a team.

    Come on Pax - pick us a star! Go Bulls!

    By Blogger HP All-stars, at 4:08 PM  

  • Oh and another thing... everyone listen in to the Garden crowd for chants of "Sell the Knicks." For those who haven't heard some anonymous guys have started a site selltheknicks.com and are organizing a Dolan protest at the draft tonight. Not sure how it will turn out, but the chant will be music to my ears.

    The site has its merits... and merchandise. My favorite is a T-Shirt that reads:

    On the Front: Vote Dolan
    On the Back: Clownass of the Year

    By Blogger Knick33, at 4:12 PM  

  • I am looking forward to some creative Dolan-hate tonight.

    I like your pick of Thomas to the Raps. In thinking about it, that's what I would do - I think you could actually play Charlie V, Bosh & Thomas together at times, and with Rasho in the mix that's a pretty nasty set of guys at the 4/5 and sometimes three.

    I'm so pissed thinking about the wolves taking Foye at 6 that I think when it actually happens I'll be relieved. If McHale did something smart it might cause a tear in the fabric of reality.

    By Blogger Jason N, at 4:50 PM  

  • Oh Jason, such sadness. You were too right. Foye was your boy, even as you drafted Roy.

    By Blogger The Green, at 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home