The Moonball Blog

Saturday, January 03, 2009

KG the Vile (stunning observations from a twisted soul)

monkeyshoes and I were at the Rose Garden monday for the Blazers-Celtics match up. Great game. Really great crowd.

I have been a long time critic of the Portland fan. With the exception of the Shaq Factor with the Lakeshow circa 98-00, I have never seen such a lively, aggressive, hard cheering crowd in P-Town. Folks were not just psyched about the Blazers. They were foaming with hatred for the Green. Most especially for Our Man on the Floor, Mr. Kevin Garnett.


Thanks in part to the Blazer TV and radio announcers, and in part because he is a damn chippy player, KG has reached Arch Villan status here is Portland. Every time he was involved in a physical play, the crowd would arupt with boos and curses. During the 2nd quarter, this Dad who had come to the game with his 10 year old son and pretty good buzz stood up and bellowed 'KG, meet me in the parking lot!.' After the game I got several razing emails taking shots at Garnett for being cheap, including one hoping for KG to get his teeth knocked out. Even Windbreakers is pissed at KG.

So there is me and monekyshoes sitting in the 2nd to last row cheering for Boston. monkeyshoes is all in green. Folks are yelling at us, shouting our cheers down, and generally are going nuts. At least 15 'Boston Sucks' chants. When the game turned and the Blazers took over the lead, the house was in full roar, a mass of exultation and vindication egged on by an electronic scoreboard. Great fun.

Portland has some juice, for sure. Oden and LaMarcus really gave Boston trouble, and that Travis Outlaw is something else when his game is flowing. Hit did this baseline spin move on Pierce/dunk on Garnett that was straight stupid. Portland still has some growing to do--Oden in particular--but this team is trouble for all comers.

1 Comments:

  • I've read some great things recently about Portland fans, and it has made me proud of you -- because every game we went to there, you were the first to jump up and clap and shout when the Blazers would have the visitors on the ropes, and they'd take a time out...and you'd be calling out other fans to cheer too, I learned when to shout that way too, for sure. In my semi-warped perspective I felt you singlehandedly taught them how to cheer for their team. Ironic to think of ya'll at the Rose Garden in the Green!

    Here recently, the fans gave LeBron a standing O a couple weeks ago, even after his heroics buried the Wolves. I don't blame 'em, yet I do. Then last night, someone shouted, "McHale, you suck!" during a Craig Smith free throw, the whole stadium heard it, everyone sniggered, and Smith missed. I don't blame them, yet I do.

    At least they still know how to boo Steph here...

    By Blogger TVDave, at 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home