The Moonball Blog

Friday, August 10, 2007

Serious stuff

Okay, so a little Moonball bizness.

First, here's the draft order as determined in Mike's backyard:

1. Knick33
2. The JLE
3. Cous-Cous KY
4. Me-Wolves (Me-C's?)
5. Ironwood Flash
6. Defending Champs (aka Red Black n Blue aka Hello! Shooters)
7. Rec Leaguers
8. Rabbis
9. Monkeyshoes
10 the WB
11. HP All Stars
12. Rathouse

Second, are people up for a conversation about any changes for the coming year? I have heard a couple of ideas that I think are interesting. One is a switch to a head to head league - you set your lineup once a week and you "play" one other team - whoever gets more points for the week wins that week's game. We could do that with or without playoffs (played the last few weeks of the season). Also up for discussion is whether we should switch to a different service provider. I will admit to not being a huge fan of yahoo, but I'm not sure what's better. The two questions are somewhat related, as we have to make sure whatever site we use will fit the Moonball Way. One site that has a little grungy, TQStats-style feel but with some of the 'self-help' things that are good about yahoo is yourfantastyteamsucks.com. If you want to check it out go here:

http://www.yourfantasyteamsucks.com/leagues/basketball/moonball/index.php

The password for the test team is moonball.

So, if you have feelings on either issue, post in the comments. If we don't get many comments, I'll start an email thread.

Hope everyone is good. Great pics, Monkeyshoes.

EDIT - we also need to confirm where we're doing the draft. A subset of us talked about this possible rotation for the draft:

2007: Chicago or Madison
2008: the Nati
2009: Pacific NW
2010: East Coast

we don't have to decide 'em all now, but i figured we should at least get this year's confirmed.

10 Comments:

  • I hate to say it, but The Rec League is retiring. I wanted to go out without hold the trophy and I am pleased to hand it over to someone who truely deserves it.

    For what it is worth, I would recommend the draft be held in Chicago so I can participate in what looks like a very competitive pick up game...

    By Blogger davidcassel, at 12:46 AM  

  • hey, hey,
    1)i am not feelin the head-2-head.
    2)i like the grungy site.
    3)i am going to to try and make it to future drafts but i can't this year; too many travel obligations already for this fall.

    By Blogger monkeyshoes, at 2:37 PM  

  • Say it ain't so, Reckie! We'll miss the man, myth, legend, and mystery that is David Cassel. The Newton boys could have used you on the court in Oregon, that's for sure, although your brother began a promising second career as a spot up shooter, in Crocs, no less.

    As for the fantasy changes, not surprisingly, I'm easy. I will point out that the new service seems to lack the main thing people didn't like about Yahoo, that being an embedded chat page, rather than a message board. But if folks want to move, I'll adjust.

    The locales seem right to me.

    By Blogger Ironwood Flash, at 11:09 AM  

  • David C, you will be missed. I'm glad you were able to hand the Layden over to your brother before departing.

    As for changes, head to head is off the table if we don't recruit another Moonballer, so the question may be , as Jesse Jackson once said, moot.

    By Blogger Jason N, at 10:56 AM  

  • Why are you retiring, D? I always liked the Rec aspect -- plus we need all the Daves we can get. To quote your best quote ever, "Check yourself before your Rec Yourself."

    I'm not feeling the head 2 head either. I don't know how we could have both total points matter and weekly games matter -- and I like the season-long drama more than the prospect of kicking a single ass per week.

    I can't see the new site from work, and storms knocked out my internet at home -- I'll look at it later. This year most everything is fine with me. Thanks for your research, new Commish.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 11:07 AM  

  • David C don't make a rash decision. I dare say you will miss us more than you imagine. Stick around for at least one more live draft here in Chi-town. Without you will be around to compete with HP to grab all the Bulls?

    I thought we decided against Madison this year actually... Lazy Abe didn't want the awesome responsibility of hosting a week before Donna's due date.

    I am quite intrigued by head to head. I love the idea of enemies for a week and the excitement about big upsets. It would give teams at the bottom of the pack something exciting to be able to impact the money slots with a key win down the stretch.

    But I do think it may be more appropriate for a rotisserie type scoring system (and I don't particularly like drafting for categories). Never have played head to head though and do enjoy things as they are so I'm fine with keeping the scoring the same. I ain't quitting no matter what the rules or site.

    I'd vote for keeping Yahoo for another year. Let's see how it goes now that folks are used to it. I don't want to learn a whole new site all over again.

    By Blogger Knick33, at 1:56 PM  

  • Do you guys think we should take this to a vote, or should we just keep it as is. I don't hear a lot of enthusiasm for changes (though I, like DAnthony, like the idea of head to head - even if I didn't win the league beating Knick33 for a week would be worthwhile).

    By Blogger Jason N, at 4:10 PM  

  • I have no doubt that I will miss you all and moonball. I like it. Especially interesting this year with all of the player movement...just not going to have the time. Also, don't want to have anyone else to root for while my Bulls make their Championship run. I am super excited about this season. I will stay focused on the Bulls and not some second string jackass from Memphis who gets a few moonball points to make my day.

    Hopefully you all choose Chicago...like I said, I want in on any and all pickup games.

    By Blogger Rec, at 11:59 PM  

  • For the record, I'll add my vote for keeping the same rules and same host site as last season. Everyone said it was the most exciting finish of all. Plus, let's give RBB/HelloShooters/KeyOffU/TVDave a chance to defend his crown within the status quo.

    If we're really planning this league out until 2010, there'll be other chances to try head-to-head or whatever other schemes we brew up.

    My $0.02.

    By Blogger jLev, at 10:58 PM  

  • Oh, and I think you should at least draft a team Reccie. Give yourself something other than the Bulls boxscore to look at every morning.

    [Maybe we can let you "audit" the league and you don't have to pay the dues (but you can't trade with other teams)...?]

    You're one of the Original 9, after all. Wouldn't be the same MoonBall without DavidC.

    By Blogger jLev, at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home