The Moonball Blog

Friday, December 15, 2006

Replacements - but not from the bench


Hey, this may be one of the most off-topic posts ever...but I need help. Some of you Moonball people are into the Replacements, aren't you?

Mike Gunther and His Restless Souls were asked to record a track for a Replacements tribute album, coming up. Unfortunately, I'm severely Replacements-retarded, even though I'm from Minneapolis. I was always more of a Suburbs /Hüsker Dü guy.

I know some of their stuff...but the songs I know wouldn't really work for this. And the rest of the Gunther band, they're so young they may not remember those days.

I know some of you were more into the Mats than me -- any favorite songs?

On a side note -- I saw Tommy Stinson play at the Summit Brewery 20th Anniversary show with Soul Asylum this summer. That guy's a total rockstar. No wonder his other gig is with Axl!

7 Comments:

  • Gunther should do "If Only You Were Lonely." I can't think of anything more fitting.

    By Blogger Lil Dice, at 1:22 PM  

  • "Night Club Jitters" also seems right up the Restless Souls' alley.


    While on the subject of the Replacements, the company I work for is publishing a book about the Mats --- the band's history, and why such a talented group of malcontents never made it big.

    What should we call this book? The first suggestion was "Left of the Dial," but that seems almost cliche. The author (a CityPages writer) prefers "Unsatisfied," but seems a little generic. I like "Sorry Ma," but some say it's too obtuse. Doesn't have to be the name of a song or album, of course...

    By Blogger jLev, at 1:41 PM  

  • Thanks for the suggestions. I will give 'em a listen. Anyone else?

    I think "Sorry Ma" is the best title by far, Lev.

    If it's a coffee table book, the cover art could be coffee table wood, with an ashtray, butts and burnmarks on it and some cheap beer nearby. Maybe some Mats polaroids scattered on it, to show some faces.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 4:48 PM  

  • Is this a Walsh book?
    When is it supposed to come out?

    By Blogger Lil Dice, at 6:00 PM  

  • I dunno Gunther, and this is kind of an impossible question anyway. Too many to choose from.

    My answer to both questions however is Bastards of Young.

    JLev, Left of the Dial was recently used as the title of an 80s alternative rock compilation, which doesn't necessarily exclude it but would also make it a bit lame, imho.

    I don't like Unsatisfied for some reason, I much prefer Sorry Ma, I think that could work just as well. If it's obtuse, then maybe the kids'll learn something.

    By Blogger Ironwood Flash, at 3:51 PM  

  • Since you are doing this as Minny thing, I suggest Buck Hill.

    I also imagine Gunther's working-man's-crooner image working well with a re-do God Damn Job.

    By Blogger HP All-stars, at 8:39 PM  

  • Yeah, I'm familiar with Rhino's Left of the Dial compilation. It's certainly not a phrase unique to the Replacements, which is why I think it's best to avoid the cliche.

    By Blogger jLev, at 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home