The Moonball Blog

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

One more Vote, plus a Goat

I'm back from hiking with the goats and grizzlies at Glacier Park. It was beautiful, and if you ever have a chance to go, don't hesitate!

Since there hasn't been any more discussion on league options for next year, I think we've all said and heard enough.

We finally got a quorum on the last vote, and the 82-game Yahoo option gained the highest total with 5 votes out of 11.

However, because the 2 weekly options are no longer valid as they were stated (partially locked rosters will not work at Yahoo), we're going to do it one more time. Please cast your vote!

Here are our options:
Yahoo - 4 man bench. Roster open all week for bench replacements, supermoves, etc. -- 82 game limit per position
Yahoo - 4 man bench. Locked weekly roster where bench replacements, trades and supermoves take effect only once a week -- no game limit
TQStats -- same as last year, injury replacement when a player becomes inactive, no bench

I think these options cover what's been discussed, and will create a season that is fun, fair and just. My lovely assistant Jason has prepared another poll:

Vote at Surveymonkey

If you have any questions, or require clarification, let me know. And, don't forget Draft order will be determined at a Minnesota meeting of the moonball minds next week. Results to be posted here!

5 Comments:

  • Thanks, commish

    By Blogger The Green, at 1:46 AM  

  • There was another option, similar to option 2 here but allowing trades & supermoves (and perhaps injury replacements) throughout the week, which could work with TQ Stats (just wasn't compatible with Yahoo) --- is that off the table?

    Why don't we decide what kind of league rules we want, then figure out which site works best for that? There's no reason to tie together the rules and the host site in one vote, since it only limits our options.

    By Blogger jLev, at 3:15 PM  

  • Yes, the weekly TQ option is off the table. I looked into TQStats weekly options and when I tried to use some examples on their website, I got some major errors within a few clicks. I didn't think that was an option at this time in TQ's development.

    I'm assuming TQ will have a few things ready by season's beginning (including things the way they worked last season, hence the inclusion of last year's rules as part of the vote.) But I'm ready to nail this down now, on something that's more than duct tape and promises. Therefore, I called the vote as stated.

    I don't want this decision to be governed by computers either, JLev...they've already complicated it enough, in fact. But for a league that lasts all year, with huge point totals based on a couple hundred NBA players, the rules need to be workable within a website to track it all. To do the rules first without considering the framework is naive. Like, let's play a game where we're in zero gravity. Oh wait, we're not...

    The new options here are true to the rules we've traditionally used. They simply contain some modifications to improve on injury replacements and to fit within an exsiting framework that can accommodate our league.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 5:25 PM  

  • Option 4: Everyone calls or emails Commissioner Dave on a daily basis to set their lineups. 82 game limit. Dave tracks everything via Excel spreadsheet and has to hand enter all player data each morning after getting box scores. He then aggrgates stats and emails all to all. No websites to bother us with silly limitations.

    Abey and I played in a league that worked that way back in 1994-1995. My first 2 draft picks were Shawn Kemp and John Stockton...foolishly I passed on Karl Malone because the Flash taught me some real hatred. I learned my lesson right then.

    We made it through about 1 month of the season before the Commissioner (one Darwin Conner) quit and stopped keeping stats.

    By Blogger Knick33, at 11:21 AM  

  • That is funny. I would do that, but the fee would be $3000 instead of $30.

    Then I could quit my job, and I'd win every time, because moonball is not yet governed by the transparency principles of Sarbanes-Oxley.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home