The Moonball Blog

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Moonball Off-Season Continues

For those of you that enjoy following the NBA off-season, I hope you have enjoyed the moonball version this year. It's all action, yeah? And we’re not done yet.

The vote that was carried out a couple weeks ago was inconclusive. I haven’t received the final tally, but was pretty evenly divided, with the exception of the TQStats option, which no one voted for. Also, there weren’t enough votes to make it valid (the constitution says we need 11).

In any case…some of the options we discussed are no longer on the table.

With the limitations on commissioner controls, I feel the weekly options at Yahoo are too risky. Since commissioner controls are only able to make adjustments in real time (not retroactively), the rosters would have to be unlocked and wide open to allow you to make supermoves, trades and waiver pickups during the week yourselves. Even as bright as you all are, we’d probably have some mistakes. And any mistakes would be reflected in the scores, which are uncorrectable.

Some have suggested we head back to TQ Stats. If that’s our final resting place, I know we’ll still have fun, and it’s good to have that in our pocket. But there’s still time to figure out our options. And since no one voted for TQStats, it’s worth a try.

I still think the 82-game limit at Yahoo is a good option. With some small changes, it preserves most of the rules we had last year, while eliminating the “inactive” conundrum. And since it’s also aligned with how Yahoo operates, I see little chance for mistakes.

For the superslackers, we could also do the once-weekly roster in Yahoo, with supermoves, trades and waiver pickups becoming effective only once a week (not daily, since rosters would be locked all week). I could also look into using a bench at TQStats, or using different services like CBS Sportsline.

Rather than jump right into another vote, I think we should discuss some more. Comments?

3 Comments:

  • Summary of proposed 82 game limit in Yahoo league
    -Addition of a 4-player bench
    -82 game limit per position
    -No “inactive” injury replacements

    Rosters are unlocked, allowing trades, supermoves and waiver pickups throughout the week (same as last year)

    Bench can be used to replace injured or underperforming players. 82 game limit keeps a lid on bench moves.

    Inactive players' games don’t count toward 82 game limit. (Injured players can be switched out when you are ready. You can make up for missed games using bench players.)

    Moves allowed until 5-minutes before game time

    By Blogger TVDave, at 11:37 AM  

  • Though I voted for the weekly rosters, I'm not against the 82 game limit. For me that decision was almost 6 of one, half dozen of another. To me, both require an equal amount of diligence and strategy in setting lineups -- just in a different way.

    I still am concerned about how our rules will fit into Yahoo, in particular the trade supermove. I know you talked to them, but I just don't see how it could work unless it is technically entered as 2 separate transactions. Would Yahoo reject the unbalanced trade without noting the pick-up or waiver that would follow. Also, if the pick-up is a separate transaction and we are limiting the number of transactions how will Yahoo distinguish between a supermove and a tradesupermove in order to count and then stop people when they hit their max transaction number? Finally, will Yahoo allow a max number of transactions per half of the season or do we just need to tell them the number overall?

    I guess in some ways these are minor points. But, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate a little and envision how things could go wrong from a logistical standpoint so we're sure we don't want to leave TQ.

    If we have to drop the trade supermove rule is it worth it to move sites? I do really like that rule, but I'm willing to say that maybe it's not that big a deal. Certainly the new injury rules of last season reduced the number of trade supermoves used. Perhaps a bench will have the same effect.

    I'm the type who likes to stick with what I'm comfortable with. I'm not convinced in this case the grass is necessarily greener, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

    Heck, at least I won't have to be commissioner and deal with all the arguments that a set of new rules will surely generate!

    By Blogger Knick33, at 9:35 PM  

  • The trade supermove would be like 2 transactions, K33. You'd make the trade and there would be an extra guy on one team to drop...that would be part of the trade. Then whoever was short would pick up a free agent in a separate move. Yahoo doesn't FORCE you to have a full roster though. You can be a player down, and pick one up when you're ready.

    As far as tracking...Yahoo would not track the supermoves. I would do this manually. (This is like TQ, although I would have to reverse an invalid transaction instead of negating it on the front end.) I don't remember anyone trying to use a supermove they didn't have, but technically Yahoo would allow you to do it.

    Anyone who used an extra supermove would have to be excommunicated from the moonball community.

    I am okay staying with TQ also...but I feel like the injury replacement no longer fits the NBA, and a bench adds different strategy elements and more trade scenarios. I don't know how easy it would be to implement a bench at TQ Stats, but there would have to be a way for each of us to set our own rosters.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home