The Moonball Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A League of Our Own

Hello Fellows!


Let's not let the greedy owners spoil our fun any longer: Pending the unlikely end of the NBA lockout, on the weekend of December 17, A League of Our Own will host a draft for a Fantasy season the likes of which has never been seen!

Here is how the League works:
  • Each team has ten players, 5 of which are designated as starters.
  • Team plays in a head-to-head format once weekly (on Friday)
  • The season lasts long enough that each team plays one another, followed by a 8 team single elimination playoff
  • Daily substitutions
  • Following in the grand tradition of the NBA Card Game, games will be decided by argument and majority vote
  • Teams will have from Monday to Friday to post an argument on why it would win against the slated opponent.
  • League members vote on the winner of games Saturday and Sunday.
  • No team can vote for the outcome of the game in which it is participating.
  • The draft follows the usual snake format
  • There are no injuries, surprise benchings or other bull crap because this is make believe
Who is in?

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • Yea! I am in.

    Is this a game of current or all-time players?

    By Blogger HP All-stars, at 6:10 AM  

  • I'd be up for that -- not so interested in all time, because my NBA time horizon is limited to mid-90s. But maybe I'd learn something.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 3:41 PM  

  • BTW the other cool thing about this is it's not stat based, therefore better all-around players instead of guys with the best stats can have a greater impact.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 3:43 PM  

  • I was thinking current.

    Plus, if we did go retrospective, I would vote we disqualify MJ for making us play this game inyhow

    By Blogger The Green, at 11:28 PM  

  • Sure, I'm in.

    Current is fine, and I like arguments about which team would win the game not fantasy stats. Sounds like the latest iteration of the animal fight game to me!

    Bill Simmons imagined nba players captains drafting to create a new league, back in Oct. In case you missed it a post with some funny moments...

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7058281/we-need-renegade-basketball-league

    By Blogger Knick33, at 11:11 AM  

  • I'm in (even though we all know I will suck at this).

    I did look around to see if there was a What If? style sports league where we could do simulated games with our drafted rosters. I couldn't find anything that would let us do a private league, though. Mainly because I would love to be able to read some box scores before November 2012...

    BTW, since David brought up Simmons, I think I may have to go on beta-blockers after listening to his podcast w/Bucher and Stein on the lockout. He is profoundly wrong on literally everything he says about the lockout. It's maddening (and yet I listened to the whole stupid thing).

    By Blogger Jason N, at 2:07 PM  

  • It would be fun to do this, but with Moonball rosters instead of the real teams:

    http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1876

    By Blogger Jason N, at 2:15 PM  

  • How about this for a rule? The UPSET CARD!

    The UPSET card is designed to add back some of the random and capricious nature of the true-to-life game.

    Each owner will have one single UPSET card to play once in the season.

    UPSET cards will overrule the majority vote, granting an upset win to the specified team.

    UPSET cards are played at the same time a player makes the initial vote (ie before the votes are tallied).

    By Blogger HP All-stars, at 1:07 PM  

  • I love the upset card rule. But regular season only

    By Blogger The Green, at 4:52 PM  

  • Sure for me. And J--I listened to that two hour podcast, too. First time I've ever really liked Bucher. Only thing that SG was right about was the awesomeness of hockey.

    By Blogger Ironwood Flash, at 1:18 AM  

  • We need more people for this not to be a complete all-star fest!

    By Blogger Knick33, at 2:49 PM  

  • Bill Simmons imagined nba players captains drafting to create a new league, back in Oct. In case you missed it a post with some funny moments...




    Goldenslot สล็อต
    goldenslot mobile

    By Blogger Panharith, at 5:05 PM  

  • Hey guys I just want to say that I got an official notification that iTunes is providing us free gift cards codes iTunes Gift Card Codes

    By Blogger Timrolex, at 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home