The Moonball Blog

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Both teams played hard, it was a good game

So, me and monkeyshoes never got cable. That means watching the Playoffs is either going to a smokey sports bar or a hot dog joint that leaves ones cloths smelling of hot dog. I share this only as to explain that I have seen only a smattering of games, and hardly any Eastern Conference. . . oh, but the games I have seen. . . .

Utah’s victory over Golden Tech tonight was amazing. For such a high scoring affair, the defense was phenomenal. Kirilenko seemed as if he planned to blocked every Steven Jackson shot in the paint. Jason Richardson was battling Carlos Boozer for position in insane fashion. GState swarmed the post on an entry pass, forcing the game to the perimeter. Utah was able to stop the Warriors in the half court. . . but the game hardly ever played at that pace. Until the final few possessions. Sloan’s tradition trumps Nelson’s chicanery.

Strangely, I found myself cheering for the Jazz. Sloan has really grown on me in the post Stockton-Malone era. And I really love Deron Williams and Kirilenko, plus I gotta pull for two-time Weedblazer Boozer. All those dudes were huge in Game 1. Williams is fearless. I guess we should have known. But he has taken his game to an elite level in just his second year playing point guard, and I, for one, am blown away. He can score in so many ways, and yet his value is not based on his scoring, but rather his control of the floor. Lethal combo.

I love watching Kirilenko getting some post-season shine. As much as his lack of offensive production has been confounding, his game is so multi-faceted that he has nonetheless offers the Jazz a supreme wildcard as these playoffs progress.

On the Warriors side, what a run! They almost had this game. I continue to be so impressed by Jackson, Richardson and Davis. All three guys are playing at their highest levels. I love to watch Davis draw fouls; you can tell he and Paul Pierce are friends. In the pinch me, I’m dreaming category, Matt Barnes continues to look great. A scrap-master supreme, with an aggressive jumper and feel for the pass, he is the Nellie proto-type point forward. He is the first guy down court on almost every GState break out, either looking for a dunk or a cutter for a dunk. Tenacious.

Young blood in the 2nd Round in the West. I love this game.

p.s. though I have yet to see the Pistons this post season, I have much love for CWebb and Sheed, and those fellas are getting it done!

2 Comments:

  • You all know how I feel about cable. Never had it my whole life, except on Clay street in Portland. Oh how weird to find myself on the phone yesterday with Comcast. JLev and Ratty, pack the kid in the car, grab some chips, and come on over!

    I really felt like I missed out on the Golden State/Dallas upset, just catching the second half of when the wheels came off Golden State in game 2. Some good technical fouls and that was it.

    Actually, for playoff viewing this week, I've found the best bet is NBA city -- which I've also mocked in the past. Walls and Walls of huge TVs, great happy hour, the announcers on the sound system throughout the restaurant, even in the bathroom, and Guinness on tap. Plus all sorts of baseball games on other TVs to watch during the commercials.

    But because our TV reception is hit or miss, I finally ordered basic basic cable -- but oh, can I try all the extra HiDef channels for 30 days free? Like TNT and ESPN? I can? Awesome!

    Sold out. But I'll be thanking myself during East/West finals.

    By Blogger TVDave, at 10:32 AM  

  • Hey, Moonballers.

    I've been reading your blog for a while, and I figured I'd chime in with some thoughts about the elimination of my local club, the Golden State (Tech) Warriors.

    As much as I loved NellieBall, though, I have to (grudgingly) agree with a lot of Mike's kind words for the Jazz. Where Dallas got flustered and self-destructive, Utah just buckled down and played. This broke my heart, of course, but it didn't hurt as badly as watching Stephen Jackson self-destruct during Game 5. What can you say? The guy walks a razor's edge between scarily focused and just plain scary, and you gotta take the good with the bad. Still, he somehow found a way to be scarily bad for 48 minutes on Tuesday night. 3-17 from the field, innumerable failures to hustle, and 1.5 meltdowns. Not a good line for an elimination game.

    For Utah's part, it didn't hurt to have Deron Williams and Derek Fisher to body up on Baron, though. BD just owned Jason Terry and Devin Harris; he kept trying to post up Deron Williams, and it just wasn't happening. The better team won, for sure.

    I wrote lots more about it in this post on my "blog."

    Keep up the good work, and go Suns.

    By Blogger Doug LeMoine, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home