The Moonball Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

10 Piston thoughts

1. Good for the Cavs, they have been great and deserved to win each of the last three games. I can't take anything away from them, they've played hard and smart.

2. Gino-billy taught Varejao the sweet language of ref-duping. I really like his game, though.

3. It's hard to watch the Pistons play so poorly. I've seen probably 50 games this year and this is by far the worst stretch they've played. With the possible exception of Tayshaun, each regular has played beneath his abilities.

4. A question for Wolves fans: did Flip's vaunted offense regularly bog down in the post-season with the Wolves? The shocking thing about the last few games (including the fourth quarter of Game 2) is that the Pistons have largely stopped moving the ball. They go one on one, take bad jumpers, drive into the teeth of the defense--it's very frustrating.

5. Another question for Wolves fans: when I see Flip on the bench during crunch time, should my heart sink as much as it does? He looks nervous and I don't have a sense that the team, even one filled with veterans who have been through the battles, know what they are doing out there.

6. One more question for Wolves fans: should I stop making Flip a scapegoat for a listless team?

7. Lebron. I have this feeling that we need to get him this year, as there won't be great opportunities over the next decade. What a player and still so much to learn.

8. Maybe we shouldn't have traded Darko. Maybe his presence kept the team humble or something. Or maybe he was a good luck charm. I miss him.

9. I'm hoping someone famous will write or say that the Pistons are done, so that they can kick back into the "we don't get no respect" thing which has worked so well. I also hope Rasheed's ankle heals before Friday.

10. I still think the Pistons will win. I told my friend Dan after game 3 that I wouldn't be worried about this series until the Cavs went back home up 3-2, which I never thought would happen, but here we are. That said, even in Cleveland, with refs that work for a league that surely wants to see a Wade/LeBron conference finals, I think the Pistons will get it done.

That said, the title chances of Detroit have taken a real hit to say the least. Even if they survive the Cleveland series, they'll have to turn it around to get past Miami and Dallas. Or whoever. So no joy in Motown tonight.

4 Comments:

  • Yeah, Chauncey has been curiously mediocre, and bad down the stretch. It's a bad time for his shot to have abandoned him, and he's not doing the little things that great players do to make up for it. He needs to turn it around in Cleveland. Rip, too. And Ben. And Rasheed.

    By Blogger Ironwood Flash, at 8:01 AM  

  • While half this story is about the Pistons losing, the bigger half is about King James
    winning.

    By Blogger HP All-stars, at 9:37 AM  

  • From your Wolves questions, Flip's offense absolutely bogged down in the playoffs. Part of that is that it's so predicated on getting open jumpers (to the exclusion of going to the rack and getting to the line) that I think when the game gets more physical and the space isn't there that it breaks down and guys start going one on one. I will say that watching last night's game in particular brought back some bad memories.

    I still think they'll figure out how to win this series, but this is a definite shocker. James is great but the rest of this Cavs team shouldn't be able to be on the court w/the Stones.

    Awesome game from McDyess last night, though.

    By Blogger Jason N, at 10:39 AM  

  • I have since found out that Varejao is Brazilian, not Argentinian. Mea culpa. Even though he gets a lot of fouls, he also gets away with murder. Still love his game, though, he'll only get better.

    By Blogger Ironwood Flash, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home