The Moonball Blog

Monday, November 03, 2008

Oy, I need to hit the bottle.

JLev jumped on the Chauncey/AI news but I need my own post. I have so much emotional investment in this election, it's very weird to have an all-time favorite traded the day before. The well is kind of dry right now, and yet still I am very sad to think of Chauncey moving on. I can't even think of the acquisition of the Answer without saluting Mr. Big Shot. Yes, he had slowed just a tiny bit and he was less than stellar in the last two playoffs. But he was the engine behind the great Piston run we've been on. He was the star of the 2004 championship run, the confident guy who made the rest believe. As a nervous sports (and politics) fan, there was nothing like watching Chauncey get to the line and know he was going to calmly sink two to finish the other team. He made a superlative backcourt with Rip Hamilton, good enough to evoke (though not surpass) the hall of fame duo of Zeke and Joe. I wish I had more in me tonight Chauncellor--you deserve better.

As for the acquisition, time will tell. Iverson and Sheed on the same floor--that's a full meal for first year coach Michael Curry. But he's a warrior and I'm sure I'll warm to him. I trust Joe D, but this is a tough one.

Finally, Dyess, we'll miss you, too. All you ever gave was your best. It was a privilege to witness the second act of your career. You are a class act all the way. Denver, a new team to root for.

Go Obama!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home